Friday, June 24, 2005

Danny Ferry Comes Home

While I know that Aaron will be furious with me for making any negative Danny Ferry comments, I have some questions about the intelligence of bringing Ferry in as GM for the Cavs.

Now, he isn't a 100% bad choice. On the plus side: He's very smart and understands basketball. He comes from an organization that has been doing things "the right way" and has managed to keep one of the leagues premier players (Duncan) happy for a long time by using a good mix of complimentary talent and role players, which is exactly what we need to do with Lebron.

BUT: He's never run a team before, and the learning curve may be too steep for an organization that needs to get its act together FAST if they want to impress Lebron and keep him long term. And to me, that is a big concern. We have no guarantees that he will be a good GM or that, if he is a good GM, he will become a good GM quickly.

All of this said, I like the idea of Ferry as a GM. I think players would trust him and want to work with him, but I am not sure he is the right fit for the Cavs right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home