Monday, June 13, 2005

I tried, I really did

OK, so it was Sunday night, and I figured I'd try to watch the Spurs-Pistons game. Actually, I didn't turn it on until around 10, and by then the Pistons were nearly dead. I lasted an hour. It just wasn't exciting. The thing is, I'm a big sports fan. I would watch if the Cavs were in it, but I watch the World Series and Super Bowl regardless of the teams involved.

Yes, I am old and curmudgeonly, but it's just too late. So the question is, how is it better for the NBA to show these games at 9 PM est, than to air them an hour earlier. Especially on a Sunday. I know, it sucks for the people of San Antonio (or LA, Portland, Seattle in other years) to have home games starting at 5 pm, but screw them. The NBA is a business, and isn't it better business to allow people on the East Coast to watch games to completion? Besides, the games would end at 10 pm EST / 7 West Coast. Isn't it better business for the whole country to be able to see the most exciting (ending) part of a game, vs. having them see the beginning only?

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I think the important thing to note is that people in San Antonio (or any other city) should NOT be of concern here because they will watch regardless. If the Cavs were in the finals (or the Tribe in the Series, or the Browns in the Super Bowl) I would watch even if the game started at 2 in the morning. The goal for these leagues should be to get the casual fan to stay up and watch. And showing a game Sunday at 9 ET is far less "prime time" than a 7 ET or even a 6 ET start.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger aaron said...

Agree with all. Games should be in the afternoon. If you live in the West Coast, that's a choice. Just like living under a communist regime.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Brian said...

You could make a list from that 95 Tribe team. The Belle GS came off of Lee Smith, of the Angels, and I heard it just as I was getting back in my car after a Van Halen show at Blossom. Also from that year, the first game that really sticks as a sign of that team's greatness was won by a Paul Sorrento 2 run homer vs. Toronto. Grimsly started and got shelled, and Chad Ogea pitched 7 innings in relief, holding the fort.
I was at the Mariners game comeback, and left after 4 innings. It was a Sunday night, ESPN so it didn't start until 8. I had been walking around downtown all day and it was very hot, so we were pretty worn down. Left early.

As for my most exciting moment witnessed in person, no doubt. I was at the '86 playoff game vs. the Jets. Down by 10 with just over 4 minutes left, Bernie took over, and Mark Mosely hit about a 23 yarder to send it to overtime. It went into the second overtime, but it didn't matter We knew that no matter how many times the Jets got the ball, they just weren't moving against the Browns D. On the flip side, I was there a week later for "The Drive" which sent the game to overtie, only to see it decided on a field goal that was no good. Rich Karlis and his bare foot can rot in hell knowing that the Browns, not Broncos should have been the AFC's sacrifice to the Giants that year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home